Monday, January 18, 2010

Sir Elton John/ Mrs S D Lee

While Chris and I were driving to our romantic get away this weekend I was pondering while listening to Sir Elton John and I asked Chris " Do you think that Elton John signs everything Sir Elton John since he was Knighted. I know I would if I had an awesome title like that; credit card receipts, checks, kids permission slips...boom Sir Elton John.

Then I started thinking in away I kinda all ready do. You see I sign everything Mrs S D Lee. It is my permanent signature. I decided this would be my signature long before I got married, well not the Lee part, but the Mrs part, thanks to my best friend Dawn. When we were girls she noticed that my mom signed her checks Mrs B L Bamburg and she mentioned how cool she thought it was. I had never thought about it until she pointed this out. I guess since my Mother and Grandmother were the only women I had ever really seen sign anything I just assumed all married women signed things this way.

I resolved at that moment that I too would proudly sport my title as a wife. Not only would it continue a tradition carried on from my Grandmother and possibly my Great Grandmother, but also a sign of my commitment to the sanctity of marriage.A way to show the world that I was proud of the vows I had taken. I wanted everyone to know that anyone could be an S D Lee, but only someone who had made vows in front of God and all could claim the sacred title of Mrs.

So to all you married or unmarried women out there, if you agree with me or disagree, I don't care I want to hear your opinion on this matter. For or Against. Should women sign using their appropriate title? If you agree with me then I challenge you to be proud of your title and add it to your signature the next time you sign a letter or receipt.

Now I am aware of the irony that this is in the same thought stream as Elton John who is openly gay and probably totally disagrees with the whole sanctity of marriage thing but you can comment on that too if you feel. Meanwhile you can enjoy some of his greatest hits on my music, cause whether or not he has Mrs or not he still rocks.

Oh yeah and I realize I have some teachers that read this so I know that you go by this title regularly, but I want to know how you feel about this in your personal life.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You're too funny Sara! LOL!

Mike and Tia Fam said...

Cool post! I have never thought of signing Mrs. - - I don't think that I have even ever written Mrs. next to my name. Ha ha, Maybe I'll open up the back of my journal and try it out.
But seriously, a great idea.

Chelsea said...

I saw a picture of my grandmother in the newspaper from back in the day, and instead of saying her first and last name, it called her Mrs. Robert S. Brickell. So formal and cool!